- A new Rotary Year, a new Club President
With a Rotary President’s Gavel and Bell exchange, we welcomed our new Club President, Thomas Baker who’ll serve for the next 12 months. A Rotary tradition is to “Demote” the outgoing Club President, which we did with a party on June 25th. Brian served heroically as President during the past 24 tumultuous months, guiding the Club through Camp Fire Recovery, scattered membership, and the Covid19 challenge. Thank you Brian! And welcome Tom!
- 2020 Scholarship Presentation The Scholarship Certificate presentations took place Friday, May 29th, at Dutch Bros. in Paradise. As requested, participants and families arrived with masks as a protective measure. The recipients were invited to assemble across from Dutch Bros. Coffee. After the ceremony, everyone got in line to use the drive thru of Dutch Bros. to receive a drink of their choice and then returned to the parking lot. A congratulations banner was prepared and presented for the students. Pres. Brian handed each recipient their Certificate Letter. The finale was a green & Gold balloon release to celebrate the occasion.
It’s hard to see a smile through the mask but no doubt they were there! Paradise Rotary presented $8,000 in Scholarships! Until next year!
Scholarship Presentation Photos
Photography provided by Paradise Rotarian Donn Thomson
- Pleasant Valley High School Interact Visit On February 25, 2020 Paradise Rotarians Brian Gray and Donn Thomson went to PV High School to present a check to the PVHS Interact Club. The PVHS Interact members were 1 of 3 teams of servers that helped at the Crab Feed on February 1st at the Chico Elks Lodge. During the Crab Feed, a bucket was passed around to collect tips for PV’s Interact Club, the Paradise Interact Club, and the Ridgeview Rangers, a youth service group from Ridgeview High School in Magalia. The tips collected totaled $2400. The share for each was 1/3 of the total, or $800.No one in the room knew the amount to be presented until Brian announced it, so it was a surprise. Jessica Isert, a couselor at PV, relayed her gratitude and share “$800 is a significant contribution to our annual fund raising total.Thank you, PV High School Interact for your support of the 2020 Crab Feed! See you next year!
- Paradise Rotary Crab Feed 2020: A Sold-Out Success
On Saturday February 1st, the Rotary Club of Paradise hosted its annual Crab Feed, which is our club’s biggest fundraiser of the year. The event was a sold-out success, with over $30,000 raised. There was a good feeling in the room as the community celebrated and enjoyed good food, drink, live music, and dancing. The funds raised will be directed towards the rebuilding effort and Paradise projects. There is more to come on those projects soon, so stay tuned to our Facebook page.
The Crab Feed historically has been held in Paradise and on a smaller scale. However, since the Camp Fire, it has been held at the Chico Elk’s Lodge. This was the second consecutive year having the event in Chico. The Elk’s Lodge allows for more guests to be fed and entertained, which has proven to raise more funds for the rebuilding effort on the Ridge.
This year we sold out of tickets in advance of the event. 540 people were seated and fed with delicious crab, tri-tip, and jumbo shrimp, as prepared by our outstanding kitchen staff. Over 70 items were donated from individuals and local businesses to the auction, which brought in $12,500. We had great music from the Lee Side Riders Band. If you’d like to hear more of their music, please visit their website.
The event brought together Rotary District #5160 with a collaborative effort from both the Chico Noon Rotary and Chico Sunrise Rotary clubs. We are grateful for their assistance to support the larger fundraising effort.
The Rotary Club of Paradise works hard to make sure the Crab Feed is an enjoyable evening for all attendees. Thank you for your participation in our biggest fundraiser of the year! We look forward to seeing you next year!
If you have photos or comments to share, please submit a comment using the form below.
The Rotary Club of Paradise extends a special thank you to the following organizations:
- Ridge View Rangers
- Paradise Interact
- Pleasant Valley Interact
- The Enterprise Record
- Kentucky Fried Chicken
- Evan’s Furniture
- Fourleaf, Inc.
- The Galley
- 2019 Christmas Party
The Paradise Rotary Club celebrated their 2019 Christmas Party at Butte Creek Country Club on December 11th. As always, this was a night of great food, great music and even greater fellowship. We reflected on the year’s challenges and accomplishments while we shared the warmth of Rotary Friendship. The Bob Kirkland trio entertained with comfortable background jazz music and were joined by our own Tom Baker to play a few Holiday selections.Continue reading →
- PARADISE ROTARY CLUB HELPS CREATE THE PARADISE PARADE OF FLAGS
Displaying the American Flag on the main streets of Paradise on selected holidays is a long standing tradition. It’s called the Parade of Flags. This year’s Parade of Flags required extra generosity and effort. Housed in the Paradise Elk’s Lodge, the inventory of Flags were destroyed in the Camp Fire. Replacement Flags arrived soon, however, led by the Daughters of the American Revolution. Members of the local chapter of E Clampus Vitas produced additional Flags and the Rotary Club of Paradise purchased more. The new Flags were unpacked and attached to flag poles by “Clampers,” Elks, and Rotarians on June 30th. When the big day came, an ample crew of Rotarians, Clampers and others happily created a Parade of Flags on Skyway.Continue reading →
- Paradise Rotary Awards Mini Grant to Paradise Elementary School Kindergarten Classes
Over 100 Paradise Elementary Kindergarten students and their teachers gathered last Friday to receive a grant from the Rotary Club of Paradise and the Paradise Rotary Foundation for their Classrooms. Making the presentation were Paradise Foundation Board Members Trudi Angel and Larry Hartt along with fellow Rotarian Robert DiPietro. Shown with the four Kindergarten teachers at Paradise Elementary Mrs. Levin, Mrs. Gonzales, Mrs. Fanning, Mr. Caldwell, and Mrs. Holzwarth and their Principal Debbi Davis.
The $1200.00 grant is a part of an annual grant that focuses on a different elementary grade each year starting in 2012 with the 5ht grade and now Kindergarten. In all the 6 year program has provided over $24,000 for Paradise classrooms. Funds for the grants are raised through generous donations from Rotarian’s and community members along with various fund raising events such as the Fabulous Rotary Crabfeed held in February at the Paradise Veterans hall and Wings and Wheels held in September at the Paradise Airport.
Tickets for this event are available at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wheels-wings-classic-car-show-…
Paradise Rotary “Community Leaders in Action”
Paradise Rotary Club Helped CreateThe Parade of Flags on July 4th
Members of the Rotary Club of Paradise assisted in the placement of American Flags on Skyway on July 4th. This was the first Parade of Flags after the Camp Fire.